Home | Current students | Student services and support

Student services and support

Important changes to student systems and services for 2017

Information for current students who also studied in 2016

New Student ID

If you were a student in 2016 and have enrolled for 2017, it is important to note that you have been issued with a new Student ID.
You will have received an email confirming what your new Student ID is, but if you are unsure you can enquire at the Client Services team or by speaking with your lecturer.

You will need to know what your Student ID is so that you can access the student network and other online systems.

Microsoft Office 365

As an enrolled student in 2017, you will be issued with a new Microsoft Office 365 account.
If you accessed your Microsoft Office 365 account in 2016 and have files and other information that you want to keep, you have until June 30 2017 to copy or move your files and emails. After June 30 your access to your old account will be permanently removed.

Your new email address and login ID for Office 365 is ‘StudentID’@tafe.wa.edu.au    e.g. W234567@tafe.wa.edu.au
Your default password will be sent to your personal email address. 

To access your student email go to http://outlook.office365.com

Contact us if you would like additional information or confirmation relating to your account.

microsoft office365 for students | student email

As of 1 January 2017, all TAFE students, no matter what college or campus you are studying at, you will have one email service. 

Your email address format will take the form: ‘StudentID’@tafe.wa.edu.au       e.g. 1234567@tafe.wa.edu.au

You will be issued with a default password that must be changed when you first login. 
Your new password will need to include three (3) of the following character types: upper case letter, lower case letter, numbers, symbols and must be at least eight (8) characters long.


  As a continuing student, when will I find out about my new Student ID?
A   The new student IDs will be available from 1 January 2017. Continuing students will be informed of their new Student ID when you enrol for 2017 or are issued with a statement that includes the Student ID such as the Record of Results.

Q   As a continuing student, what will happen once I am issued with a new ID?
A   You will need to use your new ID to login to the college network and to access other student systems like Blackboard and the Student Portal.

  If I am having trouble logging in to the network, who should I contact?
A   In the first instance, contact Central Regional TAFE via email at info@crtafe.wa.edu.au 

Q   Can I login at any other TAFE college using my Student ID and password?
A   No. You can only access the network of the TAFE you are enrolled with.

Student services

We want your time at Central Regional TAFE to be fun as well as rewarding. If you find yourself in need of a little extra assistance, help is at hand. Student Services is located at each campus to offer a variety of student support.

Support services provided include:

  • Course planning and study pathways.
  • Learning difficulties support.
  • Career advice and direction.
  • Induction for new students.
  • Job Ready program.
  • Mentor support.
  • Youth support.
  • Case management.
  • Fee and debt payment options advice.
  • Referrals to external support agencies.
  • Scholarships program.
  • Events.
  • Pepperell Village (Geraldton campus on site student accommodation)
  • Agricola (Kalgoorlie campus on site accommodation).

To contact student services at your local campus call 1800 672 700 or info@crtafe.wa.edu.au

student id cards
 When you enrol at our Kalgoorlie or Geraldton Campus a Student ID Card is included in your enrolment.  Once you have enrolled you can visit either the Library or Reception areas to have your photo taken and collect your card.  Your Student ID Card can be used for identification purposes, photocopying and after hours computer access (Cibatek Centre) as well as borrowing library resources. It is valid for the current year only.
learning support 
Studying can be daunting, especially if you haven’t done it before or if you’re out of practice. We can help you get organised, guide you through your assignments and point you in the right direction for resources. You will get helpful strategies and tips to help meet the demands of studying. We won’t do your work for you, but we’ll help you learn the best study practices to achieve success.
student mentoring

We can provide dedicated support of our students registered with disabilities and those of Aboriginal descent requiring additional assistance to complete their studies.

  • Mentors can provide in class support.
  • Tutors will provide one on one out of class support.

For more information contact Student Support Services on 1800 672 700 or email info@crtafe.wa.edu.au

technology support

Central Regional TAFE Network Access
All students at all campuses have access to our networks whilst undertaking study.  Check out our How to login to the student network document for Geraldton based students.  Alternatively if you are unable to login or can not remember your password, contact your lecturer.

Accessing your Timetable
Login to your student email account via Office 365 and view the calendar.  Your scheduled classes will automatically be published to this account.  Available for Geraldton students only.  Coming in 2017 for Kalgoorlie and Northam students.

Wireless Internet Access
Central Regional TAFE offers free Wireless Internet access to all staff and students, please refer to the guide Connecting to the BYOD-Student wireless network (Geraldton students) for more information.


Can't remember your Password?

Reset your password here.  You must enter your Student Email Address eg G012345@tafe.wa.edu.au and then follow the prompts.

Password Reset Image.JPG


Additional information about a wide range of technology options and services is available on the Student Portal page (accessible from the footer on every page).

Aboriginal Student Support


We want to support and engage Aboriginal people in our local communities to achieve their full potential in participating equally in the social, cultural & economic life of their country.

Aboriginal support officers

Our Aboriginal Support Officers are available to assist with:

  • Enrolment and fee payment processes information.
  • Course selection.
  • Career planning.
  • Employment opportunities.
  • Study assistance.
  • Child care information.
  • Cultural matters or personal issues.
  • Timetables and course content.
  • ABSTUDY and Centrelink matters.

Central Regional TAFE has a designated places for Aboriginal students program. This means we have a range of courses with designated places for Aboriginal students who have not applied through the official Training Admissions application process, however course entry requirements still apply.

For more information on Aboriginal Support Services at your local campus please contact 1800 672 700 email info@crtafe.wa.edu.au.


Disability Support

Central Regional TAFE is committed to providing the best possible opportunities for clients to access the full range of training delivery and assessment services we offer. We incorporate the principles of access and equity into the way we provide all our programs and services. This means ensuring an inclusive approach to the way we provide services and also recognising that specific strategies may be required to assist clients from particular access and equity groups.

Consistent with the principles and intent of the Plans in place at the former Durack Institute of Technology, CY O'Connor Institute and Goldfields Institute of Technology, a new Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (DAIP) has been developed. The DAIP highlights key strategies to ensure that people with a disability have the opportunity to be actively involved in all aspects of campus life.

equity and access inclusion officers

Our Equity and Access Inclusion Officer provides support for students with:

  • A sensory impairment.
  • An intellectual or learning disability.
  • A neurological disability.
  • A physical disability.
  • A cognitive disability.
  • A psychiatric disability.

The support includes:

  • Pre-course counselling.
  • Assistance with course selection and enrolment.
  • Assistance with identifying the most appropriate classroom support and assessment modifications.
  • Access to in-class support, adaptive technologies and specialised equipment.

If you have any specific learning needs or support requirement in relation to your disability or medical condition, please contact the Access and Equity Inclusion Officer at your local campus by calling 1800 672 700.



Students have the right to appeal a decision in relation to:

  • Academic judgement (education and training delivery; curriculum; assessments; student progress; and certification issuance)
  • Misconduct (academic; disciplinary consequences under bylaw 20 of the Central Regional TAFE's bylaws).

Academic Judgement

Assessment processes at Central Regional TAFE are regularly reviewed by lecturers, students and industry to ensure they are relevant and are being implemented appropriately via a rigorous validation process.  All students do however have the right to appeal an assessment decision should they feel one or more of the following criteria were not met:

  • the assessment was not fair, flexible, valid or reliable (principles of assessment)
  • the evidence was not authentic, sufficient, valid or current (rules of evidence)
  • you were not informed about the training, assessment and support services available to you or your rights and obligations in relation to these
  • you did not receive reasonable training, assessment or support services to meet your individual needs
  • you were not provided with sufficient, timely feedback to adjust your performance to demonstrate your skills and knowledge
  • the assessors did not have the required training and/or assessment competencies, or
  • the assessors did not have the required vocational competencies.  

You should initially contact your assessor to discuss the issue.  Should it not be resolved to your satisfaction you should lodge a formal appeal.


You may lodge an appeal to a decision relating to misconduct on the following grounds:

  • There was a failure to comply with procedural fairness
  • There is evidence relating to an allegation of misconduct that was not reasonably ascertainable by the student at or prior to the decision, as the case may be, and that would probably have affected the decision or any penalty imposed
  • The decision an/or penalty were manifestly wrong, excessive or unfair.
how to lodge an appeal

If you believe you have grounds for an appeal then write a letter setting out the grounds for appeal, include as much information and detail and possible and where appropriate, provide relevant evidence supporting the grounds on which you wish to appeal against the decision.  Your letter and supporting documents may be emailed to the Manager Planning and Quality at quality@crtafe.wa.edu.au or posted to:

Manager Planning and Quality
Central Regional TAFE
Locked Bag 103

You can find a template letter here that provides guidance about the type of information that we will need from you to investigate your appeal.

You will then be contacted and advised of the formal appeals process for Central Regional TAFE.

If you would like additional detail regarding our Appeals Policy you can find the full Policy document here.

consumer rights

As a student of Central Regional TAFE you have rights as a consumer, in accordance with Western Australian laws – further information is available at:


Page last updated August 11, 2017